Important information for private doctors and private/civilian hospitals - South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Important information for private doctors and private/civilian hospitals

Non-VA Emergency Care 

Important Information for Veterans and Community Providers/Hospitals:

Veterans do not need authorization from a VA facility for emergency treatment. However, the VA must be notified within 72 hours of a Veteran's emergency room visit or inpatient admission through one of the means below:

  • Call the Veteran's Primary Care Team (PACT). You can do this through the COPAC at 1-877-537-7348 
  • If the patient does not have a PACT, but wants to be assigned to one, call 210-949-3994
  • Call the Transfer Coordinator (business hours) @ 210-617-5184
  • Call the Administrator on Duty (after hours) @ 210-617-5300 ext. 15940

***Hospital notification does NOT guarantee VA payment, but it is a necessary piece of the billing and claims process.***

The VA pays the community provider through the South Texas Payment Center in Bonham, TX at 903-583-6363

If treatment is available at a VA facility, the Veterans will be required to transfer at the point of stabilization.

Read this tri-fold that explains Community Care
Community Care Trifold

You can read more about VA Emergency Care benefits at:

**NEW** If you have questions, or have received Non-VA care in the community, check out this handy Community Care Key Telephone List