VA » Health Care » South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS) » GRECC » GRECC Related Resources
South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
GRECC Related Resources
- The UT Health Science Center San Antonio (UTHSCSA) Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies * seeks to understand the basic biology of aging; to discover the therapies that will treat and cure the diseases of aging by fostering dynamic, collaborative research; to educate and train our future scientists and clinicians; to promote public awareness of age-related issues.
- The UTHSCSA Center for Healthy Aging * is addressing the challenge of a rapidly growing elderly population with integrated, interdisciplinary approaches in Geriatric Care, Translational and Clinical Research, and Geriatrics and Gerontology Education.
- The mission of the UTHSCSA San Antonio Pepper Center * is to establish a thriving interdisciplinary research program to promote healthy aging in people. Specifically, they seek to translate discoveries in the basic Biology of Aging made with standard animal models, such as invertebrates and rodents, through interventional aging studies conducted in non-human primate models, and ultimately into human clinical trials.
- The UTHSCSA San Antonio Nathan Shock Center * has been providing unique research services to advance our understanding of the biology of aging for nearly two decades. Directed by leaders in mammalian and invertebrate aging research, we offer technical services and expertise in several critical areas in the biology of aging. Core services include Admin-Program Enrichment, Aging Animal Models and Longevity Assessment, Bioanalytical Pharmacology, Healthspan and Functional Assessment, Pathology, and Research Development.
- The American Geriatrics Society (AGS) * is a not-for-profit organization of over 6,700 health professionals devoted to improving the health, independence and quality of life of all older people.
- The Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Centers (MIRECC) conduct research and produce clinical educational programs and products but generally provide direct clinical treatment to Veterans only in the context of research protocols.
- The National Institute on Aging (NIA) * leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life. NIA is designated as the primary Federal agency on Alzheimer’s disease research.
- Parkinson's Disease, Research, Education and Clinical Centers (PADRECC) - six specialized Centers of Excellence, which are designed to serve the estimated 80,000 Veterans affected by PD through state-of-the-art clinical care, education, research, and national outreach and advocacy.
- VA National GRECC - The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) initiated a strategy in the mid 1970's to focus attention on the aging Veteran population, to increase the basic knowledge of aging, to transmit that knowledge to health care providers, and to improve the quality of care to the aged.
- VA Research and Development - Learn about some of the research being done by VA researchers. Discover the many research programs throughout the country or learn about participating in a research study.
- South Texas Geriatric Education Center * heads a consortium of federal and state affiliates that provides geriatric education to multidisciplinary providers in the surrounding area.