South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us so we can discuss how you can best use your talents to help our patients.
- Volunteer Van Drivers
- Information Desk Volunteer
- Parking Lot Golf Cart Drivers
- Volunteer Office Assistant
- Volunteer Patient Reminder Caller
- Discharge Patient Survey Caller
- Patient Escort Volunteers
- Hospitality Beverage Cart
- Magazine / Book Cart
How Can You Serve?
The following are some current volunteer opportunities:
- It can be confusing and stressful to visit a medical facility. Be the pleasant face and calming voice for Veterans and visitors needing directions and general information. Serve Veterans as an Ambassador. Volunteers are needed Monday - Friday from 7:30 to noon or from noon to 4:30.
- Do you like to put smiles on faces? If you have just 4 hours a month, you can be a top popper! Learn to run the popcorn popper and accept donations for Veteran programs. 2-3 volunteers are needed per day, so shine in the spotlight as a Popcorn Popper! Popcorn teams are needed Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Help the time go by quickly for Veterans in waiting areas and for those who can't leave their beds by bringing the Magazine Cart or Refreshment Cart to Veterans in these areas. Volunteers are needed Monday through Friday for a 2-4 hour shift between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- If you like to stay active and meet people, join the Patient Escort team and assist Veterans who need their wheelchair pushed from the valet area to their appointments. Escorts are needed Monday through Friday from 7:30 to noon or from noon to 4:30.
For more information on any of the opportunities above, or for questions about other assignments, contact Voluntary Services. We welcome your ideas about new ways to serve! Our hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Give us a call: 210-617-5107 or you can send an email to: StxVolSvc@va.gov.