South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
Training - STVHCS Research
1. CITI - Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (renewed every three years for Human and Animal Studies)Subjects
Register with the VA (South Texas Veterans Health Care System). The VA has specific modules that must be completed. The IRB will accept the VA’s training. However, the VA cannot accept the training if you register with UTHSCSA.
Complete the appropriate CITI training module(s):
1) HUMAN - "VA Human Subjects Protection and Good Clinical Practices"
2) LAB - "VA ORD Biosecurity"
3) ANIMAL -
IACUC Members: “Essentials for IACUC Members”
Investigators/staff: “Working with the VA IACUC”
the following that apply to the research:
“Post-Procedure Care of Mice and Rats in Research: Reducing Pain and Distress”
“Working with Guinea Pigs in Research Settings””
“Working with Hamsters in Research Settings”
“Working with Mice in Research Settings”
“Working with Rabbits in Research Settings”
“Working with Rats in Research Settings”
(courses for other species are also available)
2. VA Data Security Training
The following training modules must be completed prior to being granted permission to conduct research:
1) VA Privacy and Information Security Awareness and Rules of Behavior (renewed annually)
- Course # VA 10176 ( print version)
2) Privacy and HIPAA Training (renewed annually)
- Course # VA 10203
*If you cannot login, please contact your VA sponsoring Service to setup access.