South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS)
Without Compensation (WOC)
Appointment for Non-VA Staff Conducting Research
Note: VA- Salaried Personnel DO NOT Need a WOC Appointment.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING THE WOC PACKET
The process begins with a Principal Investigator (PI) e-mail to the Research & Development Service (R&D) requesting a WOC appointment or a WOC extension. The WOC candidate then sets up an appointment with the R&D POC to complete and submit the required documents necessary for Human Resource Management Service (HRMS) processing and Research Privileging.
Affiliation and Research Privileges Packet:
Complete and include all documents within the Checklist, herein referred to as the WOC Packet.(Documents in the processing check list are self explanatory)
- Application for VA Research Privileges - Initial Processing Checklist
- Position Duties or PD (Submit on 8.5 x 11) Human Research Only
- STVHCS Scope of Practice Non-licensed Research Personnel
- Scope of Work for Animal and Laboratory Research Only
- Declaration for Federal Employment (OF 306)
- Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists and Optometrists (Form 10-2850)
- Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists (Form 10-2850a)
- Application for Associated Health Occupations (Form 10-2850c)
- Application for Health Profession Trainees (Form 10-2850d)
- Non-availability of Citizen Memo (for non-citizens only)
- Report of Medical History (SF 93)
- Intellectual Property Agreement (IPA)
- Orientation and Training Verification
Completed Safety Course Tests:
- The PI will e-mail a request for new WOC appointments to the Research Service POC, Joanna "Annie" Sierra, at Joanna.Sierra@va.gov
- The Research Service POC will contact the applicant to schedule an appointment to complete WOC paperwork, (Room Q203), Research and Development (R&D).
- Upon completion of the WOC packet by the applicant, the R&D POC (Joanna "Annie" Sierra), will take the WOC packet to Human Resources for processing.
- The R&D POC is responsible to make sure the packet is processed in a timely manner through frequent follow-up with the Staffer.
- Once the packet is processed by H.R., the R&D Training Coordinator, Arleen Calavera-James, will contact the applicant via e-mail to set up an appointment to meet with the Human Resources Staffer. The applicant will come to Room Q203 for the appointment and escorted to H.R.
- The applicant will sign the required paperwork with the H.R. Staffer. The H.R. Staffer will provide one copy of the WOC appointment letter to the applicant and a copy to the R&D Office.
- The PI will submit a Memo request for an extension to the sponsoring Service
- The Service will notify the Principal Investigator at least 30 days in advance the existing WOC appointment will expire.
- The Service will create a Memorandum for WOC extension signed by the Service Chief and submit to HRMS at least 30 days before the expiration date of the previous WOC appt.
- All personnel requiring an extension must be current in required CITI or LMS training.
Important Items to Remember:
- Initial WOC Appointments must be verified through R&D Office
- All WOC Employee reassignments between Services must be tracked
- All WOCs exiting must complete checkout with the Service and copy must be sent to R&D
- Submit through the Sponsoring service
- MUST route through Research Service
R&D Contact Information:
Joanna (Annie) Sierra, Research Privileges & WOC Coordinator
Phone: (210) 617-5300 ext.15991
Erica McKissick, Research Staff Training and Privileging
Phone: (210) 617-5300 ext.16335
Lisa Moutria, Merit Review / R&D Committees
Phone: (210) 617-5300 ext.15390
Fax (210) 949-3800